Bodegas Enosur was inspired by the eternal sunlight of Mendoza and the wines were created by celebrated winemakers Hector and Pablo Durigutti in concert with the owners Jacqueline Tytgat and Monica Lopéz. Having spent years training with some of the most prestigious Italian wineries, Hector first gained acclaim due to his work with Altos Las Hormigas where he was one of the original partners and the winery’s first winemaker. Since then, Durigutti’s work (along with brother Pablo) with wineries such as Bodegas Renacer, Melipal, and their own Durigutti Wines has further bolstered his reputation as one of Argentina’s most talented winemakers. The grapes are sourced from two old vineyards (70% from 27 year-old vines in Agrelo and 30% from 52 year-old vines in La Consulta). One of the Druiguttis’ newest projects, Sol Eterno’s future is as bright as the Mendoza sun for which it is named.

 

 

Sol Eterno Malbec Premium 2007

This 100% Malbec comes from the land of eternal sunshine (“Sol Eterno”), Mendoza. 70% of the grapes come from 27-year old vineyards in Luján de Cuyo and the other 30% from 52-year old, high density vines in the Valle de Uco. The wine is handcrafted by widely celebrated winemakers Hector and Pablo Durigutti, and undergoes malolactic fermentation in French oak barrels. It is then aged for 9-10 months in cement-lined tanks. The result is a fresh, fruit forward Malbec with excellent balance and the right acidity to make it a match with many foods, especially Italian. Only 1,200 cases were made of this gem.

 

 


Sol Eterno Malbec Reserva 2005

This first vintage from the nascent Enosur project involving famed winemaker Hector Durigutti is a highly impressive rookie effort. It is actually a blend of 97% Malbec (from 77 and 80-year old vines in Agrelo and Vistalba and 67-year old vines in La Consulta, Valle de Uco), and 3% Cabernet Franc. The wine underwent malolactic fermentation in 30% new and 70% second use French oak barrels, and was then aged for 14 months in French oak barrels. It is unfiltered and unfined. Production is a mere 8,000 bottles, making this a highly limited wine. The color is a gorgeous purple with ruby red edges, and the complex fragrances of plums and violets are complemented by just a touch of leather and tobacco. In the mouth the trademark Durigutti style shines through, with a perfect balance between bright fruit and acidity, making this an ideal match for all types of Italian food and most cheeses.

 

Sol Eterno Malbec Gran Reserva 2004

This is a stunner of a wine from the Brothers Durigutti, 97% Malbec with just a touch of Cabernet Franc for structure and power. The grapes are from a 77-year old vineyard in Agrelo, a 75-year old vineyard in Perdriel, and an 80-year old vineyard in Vistalba, qualifying this as an old-vine wine with a true pedigree. The wine undergoes malolactic fermentation in 100% new French oak barrels and then spends 24 months in the same new French oak barrels, but it is a testament to the quality of fruit that the oak is not at all overwhelming. The wine is an enticing dark, inky purple color, and the aromas are of dark fruits and crushed dried violets. On the palate, the fruit is very powerful, but a racy acidity helps focus and balance the wine, and there is a bright black cherry flavor that makes it a perfect match for pork dishes. A scant 2,000 bottles are produced—a true rarity!


© 2017 Bottled Poetry Imports, LLC. All rights reserved.