Caelum is a small constellation that can be seen from the Southern Hemisphere. It represents a chisel, the sculptor´s tool. As the chiselto a sculptor, our hands are to us the tool of wine making. 

Bodega Caelum is a boutique and family-run winery located in Agrelo, Luján de Cuyo, which is the oldest and principal wine region in Argentina and has the oldest, highest quality vineyards, with elevations rising from 2,788 to 3,543 feet above sea level. After more than ten years of dedicated farm work and selling grapes to neighboring wineries, the family decided to complete the cycle of the vine by elaborating its own wines. 2009 was the first vintage together with their Italian winemaker,Giuseppe Franceschini, originally from Padova, Italy. Giuseppe currently elaborates wine in both Italy and Argentina. The grapes are sourced from thefamily’s 145 acres of vineyards of mainly Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay. A particularity of the winery is its significant pistachio plantation, unique in Mendoza. Pistachio trees coexist with the vineyards and create a unique landscape in the province of Mendoza. Today, Bodega Caelum is the only producer and processor of pistachios in the province of Mendoza. The passion is obvious in everything this family does. They have invested in the best of modern technology, with machinery brought from abroad and premium French oak barrels. This boutique winery offers stone architecture surrounded by stunning vineyards and sweeping Andes views. 

Caelum Chardonnay 2011

This 100% Chardonnay comes from 40-year old vineyards in Tupungato, Uco Valley, at an altitude of about 3,773 feet above sea level. Total production is 8,000 bottles. Grapes are manually harvested in February and then pressed in pneumatic presses and the juice then undergoes cold fermentation in stainless steel tanks. The family chooses to leave it un-oaked allowing the pure, clean fruit to come through. It has an inviting bright green-yellow color.  On the nose it has a light bouquet of banana and pear with touches of lime flower and dried flowers. The palate is medium-bodied with fresh light green apple and lime, with an understated but convincing crisp finish, making it avery food friendly wine that can pair with a wide range of shellfish, pork,chicken and pasta dishes. This is a very fine wine for the price. 




Caelum Malbec 2010

Only 18,000 bottles of this 100% Malbec from the winery’s 10-year old vineyards in Agrelo, Luján de Cuyo, Mendoza, at an altitude of about 3,281 feet above sea level. Grapes were hand-harvested into 44 lb. boxes and selection of grape clusters in the vineyard. Some grape clusters are destemmed and the others are crushed. The grapes underwent apre-fermentative cold maceration for 15 days without the use of pectoliticenzymes and then a controlled fermentation with the addition of speciallyselected yeast at a temperature between 25° C and 32°C. Twenty percent (20%) of the wine is racked into French oak barrels for 8 months and the rest (80%) is left to age in stainless steel tanks. The resulting wine has a lively, deep red colored, wine with purple highlights. On the nose, it reveals ripe fruit aromas of red berries and dried prunes. In the mouth, it is soft, extremely well-balanced. It is a fresh and elegant wine with a long finish. 

Caelum Cabernet Sauvignon 2010

Only 10,000 bottles of this 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from the winery’s 6-year old vineyards in Agrelo, Lujánde Cuyo, Mendoza, at an altitude of about 3,281 feet above sea level. Grapes were hand-harvested into 44 lb. boxes and selection of grape clusters in the vineyard. Some grape clusters are de-stemmed and the others are crushed. The grapes underwent a pre-fermentative cold maceration for 15 days without the use of pectolitic enzymes and then a controlled fermentation with the addition ofspecially selected yeast at a temperature between 25° C and 32°C. Twenty percent (20%) of the wine is racked into French oak barrels for 8 months and the rest (80%) is left to age in stainless steel tanks. The resulting wine has a deep and intense ruby-red color with purple highlights with aromas of cedar,blackcurrant with vanilla oak on the nose. It is richly extracted, with sweet blackcurrant and chocolate flavors, supple and pliant on the palate. The ripe tannins are sufficient to give structure to the final taste. Ideal with baked or roasted red meats and wild game. 



Caelum Malbec Reserva 2010

Only 4,200 bottles of this 100%Malbec from the winery’s 10-year old vineyards in Agrelo, Luján de Cuyo,Mendoza, at an altitude of about 3,281 feet above sea level. Grapes werehand-harvested into 44 lb. boxes and selection of grape clusters in thevineyard. Some grape clusters are destemmed and the others are crushed.Maceration and fermentation during 25 days without enzymes and use of selectedyeasts at a temperature of between 25 and 32°C. Racking and decantation instainless steel tanks. Malolactic fermentation happens in new French oakbarrels. The wine is aged for 15 months in the barrels with periodic“batonages” made during this time. Final stage is blending and posteriorbottling. The wine has a glass-coating opaque purple color. On the nose itreveals enticing aromas cedar, leather, lavender, chocolate and cherry colathat inform the nose of a dense, layered and incipiently complex wine. This isa very elegant wine that is plush, spicy and well balanced. 

© 2017 Bottled Poetry Imports, LLC. All rights reserved.